Thursday, May 19, 2005

Boo

You know, I generally don't approve of calling older people "cute." It seems patronizing and disrespectful. But oh, gosh, sometimes the shoe really, really fits.

I'm entering "event reports" at my temp job, and there's one I kind of have to share with you. It's a report of a patient fall. The elderly man's wife usually makes sure that he's in bed before she goes to bed herself, but on this night, he wants to stay up late to watch a TV program about ghosts. After a bit, she's concerned, so she heads out of the bedroom to check on him, just as he's coming in. He's so startled he loses his balance and falls over backwards. (He is not hurt, which means we get to find this funny and endearing if we want to.)

Then, of course, there's the one where the husband of the woman suffering debilitating depression intentionally gives her a 4-fold dose of her sedative-hypnotic, then tells the nurse on the phone that no visit is necessary because his wife is too tired. Um. Less funny, less endearing. (She, too, was okay, incidentally.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was excited to find your blog! I'm in the midst of trying to figure out whether or not to begin an accelerated BSN/FNP program at Fancy University, and, like you, I have an elaborate liberal arts background (French lit and music history). Nursing would be a major leap of faith for me. (Nearly everyone else in my family is an academic in the humanities). I thought that I was ready to commit to this program (which begins in ten days), but all of a sudden I'm reconsidering. Recently I've come across all sorts of horror stories about being a nurse. In all hoesty, I also have no idea if the training/first jobs will be terribly dull, if I'm only kidding myself that this could be a wonderful, meaninful, multifaceted, engaging track for a sporadically ambitious, thinking person. Do you have any advice?

11:29 AM  
Blogger Rosie Bonner said...

Oh, gosh. I don't know. For one thing, I think that being an advanced practice nurse like an FNP is quite a different beast from being a plain RN working in pretty much any area. I know that there are frustrations there, too, and probably not fewer or lower level than those of RNs, just different. One thing that has led me to decide that I ultimately don't want a purely clinical career is that doing clinical work, I really get to craving "big picture" stuff. When you're working with patients, you're addressing whatever problem is right in front of you with this patient, and then she leaves, and you're dealing with the next thing with the next patient. Administrative and research work give you more opportunity intellectually to follow a larger arc, plan and execute and evaluate projects, and think more broadly about things. That being said, nursing offers a tremendous range of career options, and many ambitious nurses move around a lot and take on a variety of endeavors as their skills and interests shift. I also have to say that I am a big nursing booster. Being a nurse was a personal but also kind of a political decision for me. I want to put my life and my career out there to say hey, this matters. Caring for people in distress matters, and it's not just an issue of treating pathophysiological processes, it's living one's love of whole human beings. There are big problems with nursing, both externally and internally generated, but/and I'm hugely in favor of smart and talented people choosing it as a career so we have a hope of improving this profoundly important discipline. I should also assure you that there are already some extremely cool people in nursing. They might not be the majority, but oh man, are they amazing. Smart and compassionate and passionate but also clear-headed and pragmatic (and often earthy). Really inspiring. So, well, my vote is go, go, go! But I'm obviously heavily biased. I really do wish you all the best, whatever you decide.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rosie,
Thanks so much for your thoughtful response! I appreciate it so much, and I love your totally insightful and funny blog! I'm excited to hear about your experiences at the hospital. . .

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home