Friday, April 22, 2005

(It Looks Like Up to Me)

It's come to this. I've been assigned to a new temp job, and I'm delighted. Maybe ecstatic would be too strong, but anyway I'm definitely very, very pleased.

Since early November, I'd had this very comfy full-time software company gig. Executive Assistant to the CEO (a bit of a boor, but in the office less than half the time), and otherwise general czarina of random menial projects. Everyone (with the exception of the aforementioned Mr. Entitledypants) was very nice and warm and even funny, and I had tons of time with no work to do at all (thus the blog--it all starts to fall into place, doesn't it?). But then they didn't want me any more when my classes started, and I could no longer be entirely full-time (Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons now being devoted to the worthy endeavor of making me less of a menace to future patients). Understandable, sort of, if you look at it from a certain angle and squint.

So we were going to be even further up that ever-familiar creek, financially-speaking, with me not even pulling in temp wages. But then the nice agency found me another position, where they're cool with the leave-at-one-on-Tuesdays-and-Wednesdays thing, and the pay rate is the same. So I'll be making 4/5 of what I was making on a weekly basis. Which means we are not so monumentally screwed we might never recover; we're just, you know, really broke. So that is very cool. And my favorite part is that the temp agency guy told me that the person he talked to at my new (incidentally vaguely health care-related) assignment was all suspicious at first after she saw my resume because she thought it was some kind of underhanded power-play, and I was trying to sneak in and take over, because why would somebody like me be temping? Isn't that sweet? It put me in a good mood for the whole rest of the day.

The only downside, of course, is that now I'm actually going to have to go do a bunch of dumb work. Pfeh. I hate that.

And I've squandered this one lovely week off that I had, because with this evil cold, all I did was lie around and sleep and cough and drink tea and feel sorry for myself. Well, and do a little laundry and read The Pursuit of Alice Thrift. (Entertaining, but more empty-calorie-ish than I'd kind of hoped.)

But now I'm feeling better, and it's spring, it's spring, it's spring. The cherry tree over the driveway is in bloom, and the nice suburban birds are in full warble, and the air smells good. So it really is not all seeming very dire, I have to admit.

1 Comments:

Blogger elswhere said...

Elinor Lipman! I love her! I swear she's the Jane Austen of our time. Have you read "The Inn at Lake DeVine?"

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home