Tuesday, April 19, 2005

First Day

Today is the first day of the rest of my life. (I used to love Spencer Gifts when I was a kid--that mall store that had a mixture of posters with uplifting slogans, gag gifts, and crass mugs and t-shirts. I read through them avidly, as if I was looking for clues. Clues to how life worked, I guess. "Today is the first day... " always kind of puzzled me; I just didn't get what it was supposed to mean. I was also befuddled by the button with a picture of a chick hatching out of a shell that read "I just got laid." I knew it must be vulgar, but I couldn't figure it out.) Which is to say, it's the first day of my nursing refresher class. As it's approached, I've come to dread it a lot less and look forward to it more. It's seeming more real, and as it seems more real, it seems more doable. It won't be some vaguely defined nightmare of floating unsupported in insecurity, ignorance, and overwhelm. It will have real people (some of them likely quite nice, actually) and real tasks, and I'll just learn whatever I can.

What sucks is that I'm sick. Some nasty cold. Snot, sore throat, fatigue, etc. And when I took my temperature this morning (I'm tracking it daily for fertility purposes), I maxed out my ovu-thermometer at 100, so who knows--it could be way higher than that! (Poor me!) Actually, it's probably not. I don't feel that bad. But I still feel plenty crappy, thanks, as well as ochen' sorry for myself. Here I am, the achy, feverish young mother (okay, shut up), valiantly getting her golden-haired child off to school (day care), then dragging her exhausted sickly body into the city in order to better herself. See the montage! Hear the soundtrack! Doesn't it just make you weep?

Well. Anyway. I'll tell you how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home