Saturday, July 22, 2006

Gender in the Bonner-Wasko Household

Cassie mused about an issue she was trying to understand: "I think that womans have short hair and ladies have long hair."

Although she's started to hang out a lot more with two female friends, Cassie's best friend of long-standing at school is Paul. Paul is a peanut of a little boy, a week older than Cassie but only up to her shoulder (she's also semi-gargantuan for her age). They both report that he "protects" her on the playground. He loves to play fireman and pretend that he's shooting things. And both Cassie and Paul's favorite color is pink, although there is the important distinction that Cassie favors "medium pink," while Paul likes pale pink.

In the bath, Cassie draped two washcloths over her lap and said "I'm an embarrassed girl. I have a penis."

Meanwhile, Emerson loves to watch sports on television. It's of necessity mostly baseball (Pete's obsession), but a girls' basketball game on last night's Monk had him similarly entranced.

1 Comments:

Blogger elswhere said...

I am loving these. And, huh, pale pink is more masculine than medium pink? Who knew?

We've been having some gender discussions too, especially since I mentioned (oh so casually, right, because I'm so cool and groovy I'd never be freaked out myself) that a male doctor I last went to see five years ago has since become a female doctor. MG boggled, then said, "Mommy, could I please talk to you...in the bathroom?"

So she could ask about it in detail. Because the bathroom is where we are allowed to use potty words.

/comment hijacking

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home